Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv life expectancy
Oct 2, 2002

Hi. Thank you for the chance to ask questions my doctor does not answer. I have been HIV+ for 12 years that I know of and at least 8 years before that I did not formally know. My t-cells are 655 and viral load is under 50 copies. I have been blessed with no illness ever. I want to know if there is a way of using science to determine wether or not I will have a "normal" life span. I of course, know that there are many other things that could happen so I just want to know about my HIV status and if there are any new things in the horizon to insure no active aids in my lifetime. I am 41 years old.

Thank you again for the opportunity to ask. Victor

Response from Dr. Henry

You don't mention if you are on therapy or not. If not then you would be considerd a long-term non-progressor - a group which generally has a good 10-20 year prognosis. Your T cell count and HIV level are compatible with very long term survival from the HIV perspective. Our vision is still limited by the fact that the epidemic is only 21 years old and most studies looking at long term survival are much younger than that. Further, the current treatment era is only 6 years old so predicting the future of 20-30 years involves much guess work. Nonetheless, I know that I would expect someone such as yourself to enjoy a long life which warrants focus on non-HIV related health issus (exercise, diet, no smoking, seat belts, cancer screening, etc.). KH

Previous
Lipo
Next
Dreams of the past on Sustiva

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.