why does this happen?

I've seen many reports that hiv infection will contribute to hypothyroidism.Can you explain the connection? I always thought since hiv speeds up bodily processes hyperthyroidism would be the more common association.Here is my problem.I exhibit some of the signs of hypothyroidism,specifically very low body temperature,freezing hands and feet and extremely profound hair loss.However I am excessively oily not dry.My thyroid panels were all normal and we did run a few other endocrine tests which were all within range,and nothing turned up.My doctors don't know what to do with me anymore and I am so miserable.Mostly because of my profound hair loss but also because I am always so cold.Do you have any suggestions or any tests I should run that my doctors maybe missed.They say it is a mystery, but I am so unhappy and so uncomfortable.I would think the thyroid had to be the culprit given the symptoms, but the levels were okay.

You don't mention what your HIV status is or what treatment you are on. Other hormone levels can be involved (testosterone, cortisol) and some PIs particularly dry out the skin and seem to impact hair texture. I have heard no good explanation about the why the thyroid gland may be impacted but it sounds like you have had a decent work-up for that. KH

medication induced diarrhea
AFTER PEP MUSCLE TWICH