Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

starting treatment
Sep 25, 2002

I recently found out in April of this year that I am HIV+. I got a T-cell reading and mine is at 412. Should I start treatment now or later. I see so many conflicting philosophies on this matter. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Henry

There is no definitive answer since we hope to successfully treat patients for decades yet have only 5-6 years experience with effective medications. Alot depends on how one is feeling, the rate of change of CD4 count and RNA levels, personal view towards treatment,etc. The SMART trial run by the CPCRA randomizes persons like yourself to immediate treatment versus delaying until the CD4 count reaches 250 (6ooo patients for 6-9 years)in an effort to get at the answer. Current US guidelines recommend starting treatment if asymptomatic if CD4 < 350. Elsewhere the CD4 threshold for starting therapy ranges from 200-350. Sometimes one simply can start therapy on a trial basis for 6 months and then decide of they want to continue. There are lots of choices (like a good buffet) which can be confusing but overall treatment is getting better. KH

Previous
Random fainting spells...side effect from antiretrovirals?
Next
Options are few!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.