sustiva

Hi guys, Dr. Brian, Ive just started taking viramune- 1 week. The sustiva roller coaster didnt seem to stop while on sustiva. Actually with viramune, my dreams are sad and dark- I cant say that they are nightmares- as well, my head always seems cloudy (dizzy, spacey) - if you will. I never had this while on sustiva. Do you know anything about this? How is viramune different from sustiva- or is it that have I simply made a lateral move? Please help you always seem to have good insight.

Sincerely,

Michael (Ottawa, Canada)

Response from Dr. Boyle

Michael: Viramune is generally not associated with the CNS side effects that you see with Sustiva (vivid dreams, decreased concentration). Sustiva has a very long half-life, which is a good thing generally since the drug stays at relatively high levels even if your late with a dose, but in your case, it may mean that the Sustiva is still around even though you stopped it some time ago. I would suspect, however, that if your problems persist more than a week, or that if you never had them on Sustiva and now have them, that they are related to somethng else, and I doubt that that something else is Viramune. You should discuss this with your doctor and consider further evaluation. Since the dreams are sad and dark, I would be particularly concerned regarding depression or anxiety causing them, but I would make sure that I evaluated you thoroughly for other potential medical causes.

color darkening
side effects of viramune