side effects

I was on crixivan as my first regiment but was taken off because of side effects, I threw up all the time got diabetes and fat deposits. I am now on sustiva viread and epivir and have been undetectable for over three years . My new HIV doctor said my regiment was weak . She feels I may need to add a protease inhibitor. I do not wish to do this. Two questions are all protease inhibitors the same and is there another drug to add. Thanks!

Your current regimen would not be considered weak unless you add preexisting resistance and perhaps a very high viral load and/or low CD4 count. A recent study presented in Barcelona using that regimen found very good results overall at 48 weeks. I sometimes will use a protease inhibitor of the first 3-6 months while the viral load drops to undetectable and then stop it while continuing at least three drugs (often simple drugs like you are on). There are many options for a PI when used in that manner (Viracept, Kaletra, numerous boosted PIs, and soon atazanavir). KH

Questsions about Cimetidine/Tagamet & VL
Parotid Glands