Viread/ Nevirapine lypoatrophy?

Dr. Henry, Thanks for all of your comments in this column. Recently my doctor switched me off of Amprenavir, DDI, Norvir and Ziagen to Viread, Nevirapine/Tenofovir and Ziagen. I had been having off-the-charts trikes. and cholesterol. Do any of these new drugs cause lipoatrophy like the Amprenavir and before that Crixivan did? Also, why after five years did all of these numbers elevate. Was my pancreas and/or liver giving out??? Thanks.

Your new regimen may have less of an effect on your lipid levels and fat levels but firm long-term data is lacking. We don't have long-term experience with tenofovir or your particular regimen. On paper it may be a good choice from the lipid/fat perspective and is reasonable to try if your HIV/resistance situation supports it as well. Aging aand other factors not related to the actual drugs used may effect the rate at which lipid/fat problems develop. KH

interaction indinavir-buflomedil
Another Parotid Question