Stop Meds while having heart surgery?

Dear Dr:

I'm having triple bypass surgery in a week or two, and I'm not sure what to do about my Trizivir. The surgery itself and the recovery time will make it almost impossible to take the Trizivir like clockwork as I am accustomed. What would you suggest? I had thought about stopping the Trizivir until I'm out of the hospital, but don't know. My current VL is UD and my CD4's are at 560. I'm afraid that if I don't completely stop, then the missed and/or late doses will cause more harm than good. In addition, I don't trust the people in cardiology much with my HIV problems. When I was hospitalized last year with a heart attack, they were making a real mess with my antiretrovirals and refusing to let me take them myself from my own prescriptions from home!! Help.

All three meds in Trizivir are available as an oral solution. I would continue your meds up to surger and then restart them as soon as you are able (if a nasogastric tube is available befoe you start swallowing then could get the solution put down the tube). Your HIV doc should help run interference with the surgeons if there is a problem. It takes several days for the virus to rebound to detectable so missing 1-2 days at most should be OK given the circumstances. Surgeons appreciated patients taking their HIV meds to lower the HIV level in blood to decrease their risk from the procedure. Good luck. KH

Insomnia and 3tc
interaction indinavir-buflomedil