For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Liver Toxicity?

Dear Doctor:

If I'm already taking Lipitor since I suffered a heart attack a few months ago, would you agree that it's advisable to add Lopid to bring down my Triglycerides that generally stay between 200-300? My hiv specialist has just recommended this, and considering the medications I'm already taking, I'm worried that it could be too much for my liver. My specialist insists that both medications are warranted.

I'm already taking Trizivir, Metoprolol, Neurontin, Clonazepam, aspirin, Oxandrin, Lipitor, and an iron supplement.

Do you see any problem with adding the Lopid? Is it safe to take with Lipitor? After a very long year in getting my HIV under control, I'm afraid to overburden my body with too many meds for the lipids. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Should be OK to add Lopid as long as the liver and muscle enzymes are monitored carefully. Niacin and fish oils are also considerations in this setting. KH

Already had neuropathy
RE: high vl low viral oad