Already had neuropathy

I have been positive 17 1/2 years. My current numbers are CD4 270 and VL at 19,000. I haven't taken anything for the past year and a half as the last group of medicines I was on was salvage therapy. I developed neuropathy from Zerit, weekly kidney stones from Crixivan and pancreatitis from Norvir (soubled dose, as the Crixivan dose was cut in half to avoid more kidney stones). I have not been taken off of any medication due to failure of the medicine. However, I stopped taking them because of the side effects. My question is, if and when I have to go back on medicine, if the medicine has a side effect of neuropathy, am I now predisposed to developing it as I had with the Zerit. That was the most horrible time in my life. It lasted about a year at full force and I do not want to repeat it. I'm thinking of not going back on medicines at all as I have developed the worst side effects from them, and believe me I'm not a wimp, its just intolerable. Thank you for your time.

A

If you have never failed any of the drugs you have been on then you should have lots of options. I would avoid the "d" drugs (ddC, d4T, ddI) with your history of neuropathy and indinavir. AZT, 3TC, abacavir, tenofovir, the NNRTI class and other PIs (such as , Viracept or Fortovase or Agenerase or Kaletra or the upcoming drug atazanavir) all may be options. For sure a major objective is for the drugs to be well tolerated by you. Out of that list there likely is a 3-4 drug regimen that would be a good fit. A careful review of your entire treatment history, a resistance test, and a discussion with your HIV doc should point the way. I would consider restarting once your CD4 count < 200-250 consistently. Good luck. KH

high vs low viral load
Liver Toxicity?