T-20 and the Lumps

Hello -

I have been on T-20 for almost 8 weeks now and have had fantastic results so far. After only 4 weeks, my VL dropped to "undetectable" for the first time in 6 years, much of that time spent over the 1,000,000 mark.

So far, I have had no life-threatening or organ-threatening side effects as I have had with most of the other meds. However, I'm bothered by the big lumps which develop at the injection site and last seemingly indefinitely (if they go away, they're replaced by new ones soon enough).

This is not simply a matter of comfort (although the lumps *can* be painful) or appearance. The patient quickly runs out of non-lumpy flesh to use for injections.

My question is in two parts. First, is there anything I can do to minimize these lumps or to make them disappear more quickly? Second, short of that, is it "bad" (aside from painful) to inject into an area where there is a lump?

Thanks for your advice.

brian

Brian,

good questions! I attended the T-20 investigator meeting today in Barcelona. The issues you raise were brought up but there is no firm answer available. More long term experience is needed with T-20 to see whaat happens when old hard/lumpy infection sites have to be used. Roche/Trimeris are working on better formulation for the future. KH

Viread has caused bone damage
constant headaches