Viread has caused bone damage

I recently read my package insert for viread. "Viread has caused bone damage in animals. It has not caused it in humans up to one year" If I've been on it now for over a year, what kind of bone damage am I prone to? Should I stop the drug?

To date (1-3 years of data) tenofovir has been safe as far as bone toxicity. Its cousin drug adefovir for sure caused some bone problems (usually NOT severe). The bone problems to watch for are demineralization= osteoporosis. Osteoporosis may be more common in HIV infected persons--a hot topic at the moment with data still limited. If you are concerned you could get a DEXA scan to check for bone density and make sure your blood Ca and Mg levels are OK. Those types of bone problems usually develop slowly so there is no need to consider stopping your medication. KH

doctors diagnose depression for physical side-effects of anti-retrovirals
T-20 and the Lumps