long-term effects of Sustiva???

Hi, I have been taking Sustiva (+Combovir) and it has worked wonderfully. I would like to know when more information (are studies currently be conducted?) re: the long term side effects of Sustiva will be available. I realize it is a new drug. Thank you for your time.

HIV+ since 1997 - JT

Several of the early Sustiva trials (i.e. 006) are still following the original patients (approaching 3 years). The system for following long term post approval side effects is in general inadequate for most drugs. It relies on passive reporting to the company and/or Food and Drug Administration. Since Sustiva is a popular drug, several of the large cohort studies include alrge numbers of patients taking Sustiva who will be followed for years. Other countries or regions (i.e. Europe) have similar cohorts and reporting mechanisms in place. KH

Least Side Effects of All Treatments
healthcare worker