Dr. Henry

You mentioned a pi/nnrti only study going on.Could you elaborate or point me in the direction.I honestly think my problems are nuke related and would LOVE to drop them.Also I'm having a problem with a smell emitting from my skin.It smells exactly like burnt rubber and is really bad when I sweat. I thought it was sustiva(the drug did really bad things to me in general)so I switched, but the smell went away and came back.My doctor and I have been changing this and that(for other reasons)and the only constant has been viracept.Do you see patients with this problem and what can be done.I stink!!!!!

I have observed a number of patients with that complaint so I think that the phenomenon is real. Why it only seems to occur in a select number of patients on a given regimen is tough to explain. The NNRTI/PI only study is one arm of a three arm study (others NRTI/PI and NNRTI/NRTI)for treatment naive patients that is being conducted by the ACTG in the US. Many MDs/patients have utilized NRRTI/PI regimens outside of any study (have to be careful with interaction between the PIs and NNRTIs). Are you using any complementary meds (such as garlic) which could contribute to the smell? Seeing a dermatologist might be useful. If your treatment history and current situation would allow for a safe treatment interruption then that might sort out whether the drugs are the cause. KH

Red bumps?
It can help