Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

triglycerides
Jun 11, 2002

dear dr boyle,well my dr tells me my viral load is o and my t-cells went from 378 to 624. thats great news. now for the bad news he told me my triglycerides are at 397 .is this dangerous for my heart,etc? is triglycerides a form of cholestral? he told me he wants another blood test in three months to see if it goes down. am i in any kind of danger until then? are triglycerides a different type of cholestral, to where i can wait three months? what kind of medications will he put me on if they remain high?im on viracept and combivir. how close are we to a cure for this disease? also scared to have sex with anyone, because of fear of infecting someone. im bisexual. is my sex life over? please help me on your opinions.

Response from Dr. Boyle

Your triglycerides are moderately elevated, but certainly not so high as to generate any high level concern. The elevation is likely related to the Viracept (nelfinavir), especially if your triglycerides were normal before you started that therapy. Diet and exercise for the next several months may help to control it, and if your triglycerides do not fall with that approach there are several medications that can help. Given your success with this therapy, I would probably not consider changing you, even if your triglycerides do not fall that much with either of these approaches. There just not that high! finally, we are getting closer to a cure but we're still a ways off, perhaps years or decades. Still, the medications are getting more effective, easier to tolerate and less toxic and they should lead to very effective long-term viral control.

Previous
why not interleukin
Next
lesions on corner of mouth

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.