bitter taste in mouth

I was on videx ec, viread, and epivir for the last 3 months (before that it was videx ec, sustiva, and epivir). I know that videx ec and viread together could cause pancreas/liver problems, but my doctor assured me that as long as I took them as different times during the day there should be no problems. Well, my most recent blood tests revealed some distorted liver readings (reported over a call-in results phone line). I havent't talked with my doctor yet, but I have felt so bad in the last few weeks that I discontinued meds altogher the last 4 days. I was constantly nauseated, couldn't eat, and have been having "dry heaves" the last few days (nothing on my stomach). There is a constant bitterness in my mouth. If I try to eat something, I taste the food immediately, and then it is followed by the bitterness. I can't keep pills down - so I am taking a self imposed med breaK until a see my doctor again next week. Any idea what is causing the bitterness and lack of appetite (liver?). It's been 4 days off meds and the problem is still there..........

Often a bitter taste in the mouth comes from upper GI problems. It is very reasonable to evaluate your liver, pancreas, also possible stomach/esophagus (i.e. H pylori infection, reflux esophagitis, etc.). It often is a good idea to be seen by a doc/nurse in the midst of your complaints so they can point the work-up in the right direction. Gallbladder problems can also cause those symptoms and can result in an acid taste in the mouth after nausea/vomiting. KH

Treatment of AZT in small children
thoughts on bitter taste