Cholesteral and Garlic?

Have been HIV+ for almost 10 years. On Viramune, Viracept, Epivir, & Ziagen since Ziagen was approved. On Diflucan and Bactrim also. Cholesterol 280 with lipids of 600. A year ago, chol was 325 with lipids of 490. I eat oatmeal daily but don't want to add more meds if I don't have to. I recently heard that garlic tablets can help lower chol and lipids naturally. Are there any contradictions with my meds? Should I be worried enough to just start meds? Thanks for you input.

There is concern that garlic may lower the levels of protease inhibitors. Fish oil, statins, and niacin may have some positive impact. The ACTG is soon opening a study looking a once a day niacin. Pravastatin and atorvastatin can lower the LDL (bad cholesterol). You may want to get the cholesterol fractionated to see how much is good versus bad cholesterol. KH

smart study
help is this a good choice