Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Swelling...Parotid Glands or Lypodystrophy?
Jun 1, 2002

Dear Doctors,

I was told I was hiv+ back in June of 1990 and immediately started medications. Over the past four years I have had swelling under my chin along my jaw line, armpits and above my penis. Early on I was tested for cushings syndrome and was told it was lypodystrophy. I did have a buffalo hump and had it surgically removed. It came back and then I had it lyposuctioned out. They also did lypo under my chin in my neck area. The swelling never went away. I am now being told it is my paratid glands and that it may be treatable with low dosages of radiation.

While talking to other people who have lypodystrophy I have noticed that their humps or bellies (which I do not have) is rather hard. My areas have always been soft and sort of fluidy. I have had people tell me to try lymphatic drainage therapy or electra dermal testing (meridian stress testing) to check if my glands may be blocked. I also recently read about Lymphadenopathy and was surprised to read about the areas where the swelling occurs because they were the same areas where I have swelling. I also read that allopurinal and Sulfonamides can cause Lympadenopathy. When this all started I had been taking allopurinol for kidney stones and I had also been taking bactrim for several years as part of my drug regimen.

I apologize for going on and on but when I came across your site and read a few of the publications I felt it was worth be asking for your advice. I have an appointment to do the Electra Dermal Testing on monday the 4th of June. I am desperate for other options to radiation treatment so I figured why not try this method.

Please help!

Concerned.

Response from Dr. Henry

The type of tissue involved in the swelling can often be determined by a careful physical examination. In the case of facial swelling often a CT scan is obtained to more precisely determine if the swelling is localized somewhat to the parotid glands, lymph nodes, etc. Before radiation therapy is considered I would get a CT scan if possible. If the parotids are swollen (usually multiple cysts) then low dose radiation if often helpful and quite safe). KH

Previous
radiation
Next
getting worried

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.