Swelling...Parotid Glands or Lypodystrophy?

Dear Doctors,

I was told I was hiv+ back in June of 1990 and immediately started medications. Over the past four years I have had swelling under my chin along my jaw line, armpits and above my penis. Early on I was tested for cushings syndrome and was told it was lypodystrophy. I did have a buffalo hump and had it surgically removed. It came back and then I had it lyposuctioned out. They also did lypo under my chin in my neck area. The swelling never went away. I am now being told it is my paratid glands and that it may be treatable with low dosages of radiation.

While talking to other people who have lypodystrophy I have noticed that their humps or bellies (which I do not have) is rather hard. My areas have always been soft and sort of fluidy. I have had people tell me to try lymphatic drainage therapy or electra dermal testing (meridian stress testing) to check if my glands may be blocked. I also recently read about Lymphadenopathy and was surprised to read about the areas where the swelling occurs because they were the same areas where I have swelling. I also read that allopurinal and Sulfonamides can cause Lympadenopathy. When this all started I had been taking allopurinol for kidney stones and I had also been taking bactrim for several years as part of my drug regimen.

I apologize for going on and on but when I came across your site and read a few of the publications I felt it was worth be asking for your advice. I have an appointment to do the Electra Dermal Testing on monday the 4th of June. I am desperate for other options to radiation treatment so I figured why not try this method.

Please help!

Concerned.

The type of tissue involved in the swelling can often be determined by a careful physical examination. In the case of facial swelling often a CT scan is obtained to more precisely determine if the swelling is localized somewhat to the parotid glands, lymph nodes, etc. Before radiation therapy is considered I would get a CT scan if possible. If the parotids are swollen (usually multiple cysts) then low dose radiation if often helpful and quite safe). KH

radiation
getting worried