Dr. Henry: re facial swelling

Could you elaborate on the hormonal issue related to facial swelling. I'm seeing an endocronologist next week,and I want to cover everything in my appointment because I had to wait along time to see him. I definatly have the swollen parotid glands can see and feel them.My id doc said antivirals can cause that though.Here's the thing though I've been gaining alot of weight losing all my hair on my head getting a mustache(I'm female)Have pretty hair forearms.My gyno ran thyroid, cortisol etc. everything was normal,but the testosterone seems to be rising(he didn't check estrogen)What do you think? I just always thought these were unkind side effects of medication.

If the swelling is in the region of the parotid glands then you may have polycystic swelling. No specific HIV drugs have been linked to that and I have seen it in patients on a wide variety of treatments. Hormonal imbalances (such as polycystic ovarian disease and others) can contribute to more diffuse facial swelling so seeing an endocrinologist sounds like a good idea. KH

atp
not a freak