Issue with Zerit

Brisatil-Meyers issued a warning about developing a rare nerve inflammation that cause some deaths, marked by swelling of the nerves that spread to the remainder of the body. Doctor's are warned to look for potentially fatal buildup of acid in the muscles which may be linked to the issue. My partner is on Zerit in a 3 drug cocktail, what can he switch to without causing problems? Combo is Viracept/Videx/Zerit (and bactrim) Additionally, thanks for running this site, I read it every day and it helps understanding/handling my partner's health issue.

Switching the Zerit to AZT or abacavir or tenofovir or the ddI/d4T to Combivir (AZT + 3tc) or Trizivir (AZT + 3TC + abacavir) are potential options. The risk for the ascending neuropathy syndrome is very low (< 1%) so a switch to a different regimen for that reason alone is often not necessary. KH

problems that don't resolve
Side effects of HIV treatment