SKIN RASH/ ARMS-LEGS thinning

Hi, I'm on AZT, 3TC and NVP for the last 1&1/2 year and recently I'm having skin rash all over my body and face, when I contacted the dermetologist he said it is probably a drug induced rash. Is this possible ? Could the side effect be of nevirapine? 2) My arms and legs are also getting really thin though my abdomen is still has sufficient amount of fats. Could this be also a side effect? Your immediate reply would be much appreciated.

Response from Dr. Boyle

It is not likely to be related to nevirapine, but its possible. You might consider having a skin biopsy to document whether this appears to be an allergic drug reaction, and if it is, and you're not on any othr meds that could cause such a reaction, I would consider discontinuing the nevirapine. The thinning of your arms and legs sounds like you are describing lipoatrophy, which has been associated with antiretroviral therapy and especially with thymidine (e.g., retrovir/AZT) use. You could consider a switch off AZT, but the studies do not at this point indicate any huge benefit in doing so.

Serostim - stiff hands
Trizivir side effects