lipitor & HCV/HIV

I have had HCV and HIV for 15 years. I've been on Sustiva/Combivir for over 3 years, CD4 700 viral load undetectable. My doctor, who is not an I.D. doc but works at the ID clinic I go to, would like to me to go on Lipitor. I was surprised by the suggestion today, since my liver is pretty busy with the Sustiva/Combivir and Hep C.and I will start treatment for the HCV in a few months. She is a new doctor for me as I recently moved. I am female, 41, nonsmoker/normal weight and high chol. in my family is the only risk factor. Total chol: 230, HDL: 59, LDL :153, Triglycerides: 91 Is that so bad? She thought with LDL so high it would be hard to be successful with diet and exercise. What do you think about cholesterol lowering medications for folks with Hep C and HIV and a lipid profile like mine? Thanks for any help!

Lipitor would be an OK choice in the setting of high LDL levels. There may be some modest increase risk for toxicity given your live picture but careful monitoring should minimize any risk. Aggressive diet and exercise is often the first line of defense and can improve the numbers variable. If that fails then Lipitor is a reasonable option. Your HDL level is quite OK so that might temper my enthusiasm for use of Lipitor (counterbalancs the elevated LDL). One option might be to return to the cholesterol issue after you see how you do with the hepatitis C treatment. KH

sustiva /birth defects
how long meds work