peripheral neuropathy

I have been HIV+ since 1995 and through various combos, I have kept my viral load undetectable except for one small blip in 1999. My CD4 has ranged from a low of 212 to a high of 550. (Currently I'm at 490.) I am presently on a drug regimen of Zerit, Ziagen & Epivir. In addition to facial lipoatrophy (which I intend to seek New-Fill to address) I have been experiencing a significant tingling in my hands. I will wake up in the middle of the night with both hands "sound asleep". Once I get the blood to flow back, they ache. Most recently, my right hand has been falling "asleep" while gripping the steering wheel and while working my computer mouse. Is this type of sensation related to any of the meds I am taking?

Response from Dr. Boyle

The symptoms you describe are atypical of peripheral neuropathy related to antiretrovirals. It may be that you have some nerve compression, perhaps carpal tunnel syndrome. You should see your doctor for an evaluation and consider referral to a hand specialist.

thank you
confused about conflicting opinions