interaction or possible toxcity

hi doctors, My question regards dosing sustiva with viracept,specifically the evening dose. Since you are supposed to avoid fat with sustiva yet consume fat with viracept how can you take the two at the same time? It's difficult to take them apart when the two doses of viracept have to be 12 hours apart. Also, I know strange side effects can pop up at anytime, but what is a general rule of thumb(time frame)to wait to see if the problem subsides before running to the doctor. The reason I ask is I've been on the sustiva for three years now and lately I've been noticng a strange reaction the following day if I consume anything with alot of fat or sugar within 2-3 hours of taking sustiva. the next day I have severe shortness of breath,and severe disorientation it's really scary.It also causes sleep abnormalities.It doesn't happen that often, but when it does it is worse eachtime,it's like having a really bad hangover(btw- i don't drink at all, too scary with the meds)Does it sound like this is a toxcity that has developed and will get progressively worse(besides doing serious damage to me)or just a reaction to an occasional poor food choice.I know it its a hard call,and I am driving my doctor nuts,but when I can't even function or talk or leave my house what good is it having an undectectable viraload.

Consuming a high fat meal with Sustiva can increase the Sustiva levels (averaging a 50%increase). I am unaware of any effect of a high sugar meal. Standard meals are OK with Sustiva. The absorption of nelfinavir (Viracept) is increased when a standard meal is consumed compared to fasting. You might consider getting a Sustiva level checked to see if it is running high in connection with the symptoms you are describing. Taking Sustiva and nelfinavir together should be OK if the meal is standard (not high fat-discuss with a dietician if you need to). Many patients take Sustiva before bedtime in the evening or soon after getting up in the morning. It would be a little unusual to develop Sustiva side effects after three years but it does happen. If the problem persists for > 3-4 days it is worth mentioning to your doctor. KH

eosinophilic pustular folliculitis
getting a straight answer