Re: early steroconversion

In the post on Feb 20th the symptoms that he described you said could be consistent with an HIV infection. This is out of the "safe sex" forum: Within the first 4-6 weeks after infection, some people with HIV (up to 70) show symptoms due to "Acute Viral Syndrome." This occurs during your bodys initial response against the virus. During this time, a person may show symptoms that look exactly like the flu (headaches, body aches, fevers, fatigue etc.). These symptoms do NOT appear as cold symptoms (coughing, sneezing, congestion, runny nose etc.) A rash is sometimes seen, primarily in the upper portion of the body. Why would he have a cough and cough up phlegm? He was aking some but from what I've read all of the symptoms come on at once, not week by week. Could you please clarify?

Response from Dr. Bartlett

I would agree that coughing up phlegm would be an unusual symptom for acute HIV infection. On the other hand, I think the issue of separating symptoms by the timing of their appearance is perhaps too strict of an analysis. The symptoms of acute HIV infection are not specific, and in this circumstance, consultation with a health care provider can offer critical insight and testing.

Cause of rising CK?
HIV types commin in Europe ??