I am so overwhelmed - would you please help!!

Dear Dr. Henry:

I realize that this may not be the appropriate forum to ask this question, but if you could respond It would certainly help. There appears to be a great deal of differing opinions by the experts on this site concerning accurate test time. Some say three month is conclusive, (Dr. Kull, sites the CDC, the GMHC states its conclusive), others say test at 6 month is conclusive. I had one high risk exposure, (unprotected insertive vaginal sex with a woman whos HIV status I do not know). I took the elisa test at 15 days, 66 days, three months and 4 months all were negative. After my three month test I went to an HIV specialist down here. He said if I was telling the truth then I did not contract the virsus. He said take the test once more. I did so at 4 months it was negative. He said even if she were positive that I am negative and he does not recommend another test. This of course has been an obsession for me for almost 5 months now. Would you agree with my doctor he says I'm not going to seroconvert, he has 1600 HIV positive patients that he cares for and he says he has never had someone seroconvert after 4 months. Please answer if you can. I have also started going to a counselor to help me get through this!!

Thank You!!

Tony

My experience has been the same as your doc's. There was one old report suggesting in a few cases that seroconversion could take > 6 months but since then almost no cases of that happening dispite efforts to find them. From what you described the chances that you are HIV infected from that exposure are essentially ZERO--try to move on! KH

Am I OK?
looking for neuropathy treatment alternatives