Peg interferon and side effects?

It has been estimated that my husband has had Hepatitis C for thirty-plus years... it having been categorized as non-A, non-B for years. His liver enzymes have been stable at a mild elevation for a long time, but jumped up last fall for awhile and now are back down. His physician wants him to start Peg interferon treatment soo. Please let us know what the side effects might be, and any risks involced so I can be better informed talking to our physician, who at one point said he didn't want my husband to be his first patient on this regimen because of the risks, but now seems to think we should go ahead. I have found little or no information in lay terms about Peg because it's so new

Response from Dr. Bartlett

Unfortunately there is relatively little information about pegylated interferon for the treatment of hepatitis C in HIV-infected persons. In non-HIV infected persons, the side effects of interferon are greatly decreased by the pegylated form and the outcomes are much better. The side effects of interferon can include fevers, aches and pains, depression, and low white blood cell counts.

Skin Rash
Thyroid T4 Levels/Relationship To HIV?