is Questran safe for lipids

I have been on Vericept, d4t, and 3tc for 5yrs. Have had on going prob. with lipids. Statins work fast but cause knee pain. Have slight elevated liver enzymes. My Dr. wants to give me Questran / Cholestyramine for lipids is this safe with my med? My chholesterol is 271 and triglceride 465

Cholestyramine is usually used when the LDL fraction (Bad cholesterol) is elevated. I would be concerned about the drug binding to your HIV meds in the gut and decreasing absorption. In general use of cholestyramine in the setting of high lipids on HIV drugs is not recommended. If the triglycerides are high then the cholesterol elevation is often in the VLDL fraction (not LDL). Fenofibrate or clofibrate can be helpful. Long-acting niacin is soon to be studied by the ACTG for this. Switching your HIV meds around (off D4T and Viracept) could help depending on what you get switched to and what your treatment options are. Exercise and diet can also help. KKH

Sleeping pill
numbness on hands, is a side effect of zerit and epivir?