Sustiva - side effects

So I have looked into sustiva and its side effects, (nightmares and paranoia,) I am still feeling a little worried about starting on it. I guess more so about the paranoia part than anything. I use to take all sorts of phychedelic drugs and smoke a bunch of pot a few years ago, but I stopped because of the paranoia and other drug related problems. Do you think that by taking sustiva it will trigger any of the same bad effects as I once exprienced?

Response from Dr. Boyle

I doubt it. Many of the patients we start on Sustiva/Stocrin (efavirenz) have had some drug exposure, in many cases much more extensive than you describe, and they are able to take it without any increased risk of problems or difficulties. Most of the side effects (insomnia, dizziness, decreased concentration, etc.) take place in the first few weeks and then go completely away. One recent study found that the rate of depression at the end of 8 weeks was no different between a Sustiva/Stocrin regimen and one that contained Viracept (nelfinavir). I don't think you fear of a reaction should stop you from trying it, especially if your doctor tells you that you need it. You should discuss you concerns with him/her and then make a final decision.

low blood pressure due to neuropathy
When will drugs be less toxic