Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Weight loss and wounds
Mar 11, 2002

Dear Doctors,

I would really like an answer to this question. I know that I have to get tested and have resolved to do this but I still need to know somethings.

About a year ago I had unprotected sex with a girl, that I have been friends with for while. About six to eight weeks later I developed a sore throat and a flu, high fever all the ARS works when the flu went away I still had sore muscles and painful joints. I didn't get any diarrhea or to my recollection any generalized lymphdenopathy. I also didn't realize that I had lost any weight during that time. However about 2 months after the flu I weight myslelf I was down to 163lbs. I estimate I lost about 20lbs and it was quite noticeable to everyone too. Another symptom I noticed was slow healing mosquito bites, this I guess is not a problem to most people but prior to this i had never had a problem with mosquito bites.

About 4 months after the ARS I got generalized swollen lymph nodes which lasted for 2 months and were extremely painful and tender. Now I have developed some tingling and weird senstations in my toes/feet.

I have spoken to the girl with whom I had sex with and she told me she hasn't had an HIV test in 2 years but she did donate blood about 5 months prior to our encounter and was never notified of any abnormalities.

However I am wondering if she could be lying. I have read all the symptoms that are common and that they are non-specific to HIV but off all the people that have posted they were negative after worrying for so long none of them had lost 20 or more lbs and none of them experienced slow healing sores.

I cannot bring myself to take the test. I am so scared and I don't know what to do. Everytime I see an HIV public service message I get scared. I am so afraid.

Let me ask you doctors is 20lbs or more of weight loss common for those that have weight loss as a symptom of ARS (as I realize that less than 10 percent of ARS sufferers get this symptom)especially without diarhhea or vomiting and is slow healing wounds/bites common in the initial stages or does it present in the later stages of the disease.

Response from Dr. Henry

What you described would be very unusual to be due to HIV. The best way to eliminate that possibility and to relieve your anxiety to is to get an HIV test and the counseling that goes with the test(very likely will be negative). KH

Previous
Dark Patches on neck and arms
Next
Is my doctor handling this correctly?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.