ZAIAGEN, DHEA AND JOINTS PAIN.

Dear Doctor, I HAD JOINTS PAIN IN MY ELBOWES AND KNEES. I TOOK 50 MG OF DHEA AND ZIAGEN, EPIVIR AND VIRAMUNE FOR FULL 2 YEARS. MY DOCTOR SUSPECTED HYPER-SENSETIVITY TO ZIAGEN AND I STOPPED TAKING ALL HIV DRUGS AND DHEA FOR 3 MONTHS. THE JOINTS PAIN RESOLVED. IS IT POSSIBLE TO DEVELOPE HYPER-SENSETIVITY TO ZIAGEN AFTER 2 YEARS ON THE DRUG AND WITH ONLY JOINT PAIN SYMPTOM? I READ THAT STEROID MAY CAUSE BONE PROBLEMS. ANY INFORMATION ABOUT DHEA AND JOINTS PAIN?? DO I REALY RISK MY LIFE IF I START ZIAGEN AGAIN?? I REALY APPRECIATE YOUR WORK ON THIS WEB SITE. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Response from Dr. Bartlett

Hypersensitivity reactions to abacavir are usually reported in the first 8 weeks of therapy. Reactions may occur later if you go on and off the drug. I would be very cautious about restarting abacavir and would only do it under the careful guidance of your health care provider. Your joint pain may or may not be related to DHEA, and if it is very troublesome you might consider stopping it temporarily to see if your pain improves.

Sed Rate and HIV
Changes in semen consistency