Just Clarifying my Observations - JB

Hi Doctors, I have made an interesting obseevation on some of the questions raised in the "HIV Testing Section" of this forum. My observstions are: Many of the people who wrote in to on the topic of symptons have commented that they experienced some form of pain in the armpits, joint pains and pains in the arms. These are usually people who are tested negative, either during the window period of 6 months or some after. They just want clairification as to whether this is a sympton of HIV. Needless to say, I, too have been tested negative after ten weeks but am experiencing some armpit pains and pains in arms. These pains are occasional and last for a few seconds/minutes. My question is that the above mentioned symptons of pains in the armpits etc, "are these symptons of generalizzed anxiety?". I was just wondering, if any of the people who wrote in about these actually reverted back to say they are Positive, after subsequent testing? If there is sufficient data or feedback received to confirm that this are anxiety related, we can all put these matters to rest, ie, for all those with muscle aches and recently tested negative, they should go see shrink instead!

Response from Dr. Bartlett

The pain in these areas represents a non-specific symptom that is consistent with but certainly NOT diagnostic of acute retroviral syndrome. Certainly in this circumstance there is no substitute for a visit with a health care provider and appropriate testing.

lymph nodes! please help! - JB
Scared AND Crazy - JB