Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Symptoms of Myocardial Infarction
Feb 6, 2001

I don't really have a question, but a suggestion. I am a 45 year old HIV pos (since 1989) woman. I am extremely treatment (PI) experienced. . . saquinavir, ritonavir, crix, nelfinavir, and now Kaltrec. My cholesterol and triglycerides have been slightly elevated for some time now, however they were not seen as being dangerously high. Chol was under 4 and trig was 1.2. I am 5'7", about 145 lbs, no family history of heart disease. I am a smoker (about a half pack a day). This past August, I suffered a Myocardial Infarction. While in the hospital, I had an angioplasty and a stent inserted. The most frightening part of the whole experience was that I did not even know that I was having a heart attack until the next day. I actually spoke to 2 docs (on the phone) while I was having the heart attack. I had started on Kaltrec about 6 weeks earlier and we all assumed that I was having really severe heartburn. I was most surprised by how much pain I had in BOTH arms, my neck and jaw area. Now I know that those are fairly typical symptoms of a heart attack, and for me, that is how my angina presents. I was surprised by how little chest or heart pain I actually felt, and I certainly thought I was far too young for a heart attack. Two days after the heart attack, the cardiologist said that if he didn't know that I had just had a heart attack, he would have been thrilled with my blood work. My suggestion is that, perhaps you could provide a list of heart attack symptoms and other pertinent information. I was very surprised to learn that the average age of women having myocardial infarction (with or without HIV) is 45 years of age.

Response from Dr. Boyle

That's a pretty good suggestion. There are many symptoms of a heart attack, and sometimes the symptoms are atypical from those normally experienced by most patients (for example, I once had a patient who had left jaw pain when she was exercising and this was her only sign of poor cardiac blood flow). The common symptoms of a heart attack are chest pain/pressure (some patients describe as "an elephant sitting on my chest") that may or may not radiate into the left arm, neck or back, shortness of breath, feeling sweaty/clammy, nausea, fatigue/weakness, anxiety/apprehension. If you experience these, especially if you have chest pain/pressure and any other symptom, you should call your doctor or go to the ER for evaluation. BB

Previous
Symptoms - are these consistent with HIV
Next
please help!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.