The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Received Oral Sex With a Scratch on Penis
Feb 6, 2001

I received unprotected oral sex from another man 3 weeks ago. What worries me very much is that I found a scratch which I got from shaving only a couple of hours before the incident. The scratch was near the root of penis. Since then I have had various symptoms which I fear could stem from ARS. Like feeling a bit dizzy and having a mild headache a few days ago. However, it only lasted for 2 days. The only prolonged symptom is a mildly sore and red throat which I still have. This came a few days after the incident. In the last 3-4 days I have felt something like a sunburn in my face, especially in the areas just beside the nose. The skin is blushing a little (I think). I also have some red and white spots on my tongue. Could it be ARS? I know that the risk of getting HIV from receiving oral sex is extremely low, but what about the scratch? Does this change the figures considerably? Would you recommend a PRC test? I know that a lot of people shave their pubic hairs, so this question must be of importance to many people. Please answer, as I am worried sick. J.

Response from Dr. Young

In general the risk of HIV infection through oral sex is, as you have correctly surmised, low. The scratch theoretically adds some minimal risk, though the real issue in transmission is the source. Your symptoms, don't really sound like ARS to me; and recognizing that we are in the middle of the flu season, could just be a bad crud or respiratory tract infection. good luck. BY

WOULD YOU BELIEVE?????????????? - BY

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint