Eyes burning and losing all hair - feel fried

I been HIV+ for about 10 years. I've been taking low dose Naltrexone for nine years and never had any OI's to speak of. Started taking AZT, 3TC, Abacavir 3 years ago when my viral load reached 40,000. I also added testosterone when my levels were went down to 65 (which apparently is really low). After being on the above for 3 years and feeling great, I began losing muscle mass in my legs and butt which resulted in my legs feeling extremely fatigued which my doctor said was from the AZT. I dropped the AZT and added the following: 1200mg Indinavir twice daily, 100mg Norvir twice daily and 200mg Viramune twice a day.

At first I was dizzy, had a really strange taste in my mouth and my feet were peeling. I did Indinavir blood level test and I was off the map. My doctor has been cutting me down slowing and doing tests and now I'm down to 400mg of Indinavir twice daily and the dizziness has stop and I no longer have a strange taste in my mouth. But my eyes still burn consistently, my lips are always chapped to the point of cracking on the sides of my mouth and now my hair is falling out from all over. After reading Dr. Adrew Weil's book I can help think my body is still trying to tell me that I'm getting too much of something. Is it the Indinavir, Viramune, Norvir, 3TC or the Testosterone. Strangely I didn't loose any hair or have burning eye from the Testosterone or 3TC before but I understand that Norvir and increase blood levels of certain drugs (i.e. the indinavir). This started happening when I started this new regiment. I feel like I'm being fried from one of these wonder drugs. I just wonder which one. Any ideas?

Certainly indinavir can result in dry lips, skin, nail, and hair problems. I would consider switching to another protease inhibitor perhaps low dose ritonavir with amprenavir (100 or 200 mg ritonavir = 600 mg amprenavir twice a day) or Kaletra (low dose ritonavir + loprinavir). Since the Viramune can lower the PI levels you might also consider switching the NNRTI drug to Rescriptor. I visit to the dermatologist might also me warranted to look for other causes and re-check you testosterone levels to see if you are in a mid-range normal. These are complicated issues so you will need to discuss with your HIV specialist but those are a few ideas. KH

Keith Henry, M.D.

Possible help for JB JB
Medication and Liver JB