lipomatosis JB

I don't have aids, but I have lipomatosis. Do you have any information about this disease? I know people with aids get Madelungs from the aids treatments. I belong to an e-group message board that about 64 people are registered and we all have lipomas, but not aids. Is liposuction a proper surgery to remove this type of tumor, since the tumor will regrow.

Thanks you,

Response from Dr. Bartlett

Unfortunately I cannot offer you much expertise or advice in this area. It is my understanding that Madelung's disease may be hereditary and is related to abnormalities in the metabolism of mitochondria. Liposuction has not been helpful for persons with HIV infection who develop lipomatosis.

John A. Bartlett, M.D.

flu shot and erythema multiforme JB
Lymph Nodes