Natural remedies to offset insomnia caused by Combivir and Sustiva

I have been taking Sustiva 200 mg and Combivir GLX for approximately three months. I was diagnosed HIV+ in October of this year. As exhausted as I may be when I retire for the evening, sleep does not come unless I take Sonata, Ambien or Valium. I don't like taking sleeping pills or any other type of drug to induce sleep. I believe it is a bad practice to get into. I started taking a natural remedy approximately one week ago with Valerian Root, Kava Kava, Skullcap and a number of other herbs and vitamins. I still am not able to sleep at night unless I resort to one of the above mentioned drugs for sleeping. What is your knowledge of natural homeopathics? What can I expect? Is one week a long enough duration to know if it will work?

Also, I am having extreme sensitivity throughout the center of my tongue. It feels raw, almost as if I had burned it. Is this caused my the Combivir/Sustiva? CN

Response from Dr. Boyle

Taking "natural" medications can be a bit dicey since there are many drug interactions that are possible. Some patients of mine have reported some success with melatonin, but it is completely unproven and I don't recommend it. I would stick with the medications your doctor has prescribed and I would consider trying to take the Sustiva in the morning rather than at night. That change has been helpful for many of my patients who had persistent insomnia. BB

Brian Boyle, M.D., J.D.

Ingunious Hernia in Groin area
Mood changes due to use of Abacavir JB