CMV and HIV co-infections? - JB

Dear Doctor,

It has long been known that HIV likes to travel in company. By this I mean a lot of people who test positive for HIV tend to have other STD's. With this being said, What about being infected with HIV and CMV from the same exposure, both new infections. Could this doubling up affect confuse the immune system? Could the body reconogize one and miss the other, like when one is infected with Hep and HIV from the same encounter? It seems to me that this situation could certainly delay conversion. What are your feelings.

Thanks

Response from Dr. Bartlett

This is an interesting question. I had a patient who acquired HIV, CMV and hepatitis B simultaneously, and during his acute HIV infection his CD4 count fell dramatically and he developed CMV esophagitis. He is now doing well with regard to all of his viral infections. I think it is fair to say that this situation is unusual enough that we do not know all of the issues, and they need to be carefully sorted out between a patient and her/his health care provider.

John A. Bartlett, M.D.

Should I Be...
Ingunious Hernia in Groin area