TRIAIVIR REACTION - JB

To make a long story short, and you don't have to print this, My name is Robert, and I live in Salisbury,NC. I tested pos in 89, and so far I'm doing great, very healthy with no and i repeat no hiv problems! I've tried many combos, the pi's had lots of side effects and for over one year i've been on sustiva d4t and 3tc, viral load was <25 and my t-cell is 900! I've had some trouble sleeping so I got the idea of trying triaivir, well for one and 1/2 weeks its been hell, chills, night sweats, fever, nausea, and stomach pain. I now have a dry cough and in the mornings my head feels like it is a vice, and this morning I had a tightness in my chest, and sharp pains, i've stopped takening triaivir and will start back on my old combo but are these side effects common, i know the drug has problems but i thought 1 pill twice daily would be great. I'm 36, good shape, don't smoke, drink, or take rec. drugs if that helps you, merry x-mas and keep up the good work!

Response from Dr. Bartlett

Robert, I am really sorry that you has such a hard time with Trizivir. It is not common for patients to have the kinds of symptoms you describe. I wonder if you could have had the hypersensitivity syndrome which happens in about 4% of patients taking abacavir, (also known as Ziagen), which is part of Trizivir. I would certainly recommend that you talk with your Dr. before ever taking abacavir in the future.

John A. Bartlett, M.D.

Protease inhibitors and increased risk of heart attack
Hair Loss!