Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Recently diagnosed - looking to the future
Dec 27, 2000

I am 20, perfectly healthy, and was recently tested positive. My viral load is undetectable, and my CD4 is 1080, and i believe that i contracted the HIV about 10 months ago. I am bitterly determined not to let the virus win, and to lead a normal life. I am looking into alternative therapies, and i am looking at starting on some combination involving some, or all of the following: anally infused bitter melon, multi-vitamins, IL-2, iron, zinc, Dextran sulphate, spice tumeric (circumin), and lithium-GLA. Could you tell me which of these may conflict with each other, and any general advice you may have on them. If, after a year or so, these don't stabilize the HIV, i will switch to conventional treatments. I also want to know what kind of life expectancy to expect, assuming i react well to treatments? Is it worth getting a pension? My doc will only give me vague answers. Basically, can i still be healthy when i'm 64??? I need to know. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Boyle

If you follow your doctors advice and take medications when required, you should do very well and should plan for old age. There is not a lot of data regarding the alternative treatments you list and they have not been proven to be effective in the treatment of HIV. www.medscape.com has some review articles on alternative therapies for HIV and I suggest you read these before using any of the therapies you list.

Previous
Itchy swollen painful legs -17 weeks negative
Next
Sustiva sleeping problems

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.