Could You Be More???????? - JB

Dear Doctor,

Thank you for taking the time to consider my question a few weeks ago in regards to CMV and HIV co-infections. I understand your reason for answering the question the way you did, but one thing it was lacking, was an answer.

The reason I posed you that question is because I have been to the doctors, and what is ailing me seems to be a mystery to them. I have the good fortune of being located close to a famous clinic in SE MN. My symptoms seem all to clear to me, but the number of tests for HIV, From 1/2 Elisa, to PCR RNA and DNA, indicate I'm not infected. Ongoing odd symptoms seem to be telling me something else. My doctors are stumped, other than to say maybe EBV, is causing this constellation of symptoms .All of my test have been run some 8-9 months after the possible exposure. Anyway, my question, was could possible co-infections of EBV or CMV with HIV have an effect on the time it takes one to convert? Please don't limit your answer to just what studies say, I know you have an opinion on this matter, and that's all I'm asking for.

PS, thanks for putting together that information at the John Hopkins site, it has been very useful. Watch out though, Joel Gallant is try to take all the credit for it.

Thank You in advance.........

Response from Dr. Bartlett

If all of the tests for HIV, CMV and hepatitis B are repeatedly negative, then I think you have the good fortune of not being infected. You may wish to consider other causes for your continuing symptoms, and the best way to evaluate those is in the context of your relationship with your health care provider.

John A. Bartlett, M.D.

Expanding on Thrush question - JB
Serious Symptoms?