Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Could You Be More???????? - JB
Jan 3, 2001

Dear Doctor,

Thank you for taking the time to consider my question a few weeks ago in regards to CMV and HIV co-infections. I understand your reason for answering the question the way you did, but one thing it was lacking, was an answer.

The reason I posed you that question is because I have been to the doctors, and what is ailing me seems to be a mystery to them. I have the good fortune of being located close to a famous clinic in SE MN. My symptoms seem all to clear to me, but the number of tests for HIV, From 1/2 Elisa, to PCR RNA and DNA, indicate I'm not infected. Ongoing odd symptoms seem to be telling me something else. My doctors are stumped, other than to say maybe EBV, is causing this constellation of symptoms .All of my test have been run some 8-9 months after the possible exposure. Anyway, my question, was could possible co-infections of EBV or CMV with HIV have an effect on the time it takes one to convert? Please don't limit your answer to just what studies say, I know you have an opinion on this matter, and that's all I'm asking for.

PS, thanks for putting together that information at the John Hopkins site, it has been very useful. Watch out though, Joel Gallant is try to take all the credit for it.

Thank You in advance.........

Response from Dr. Bartlett

If all of the tests for HIV, CMV and hepatitis B are repeatedly negative, then I think you have the good fortune of not being infected. You may wish to consider other causes for your continuing symptoms, and the best way to evaluate those is in the context of your relationship with your health care provider.

John A. Bartlett, M.D.

Previous
Expanding on Thrush question - JB
Next
Serious Symptoms?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.