Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Strange Pain lower back/groin area
Jan 8, 2001

Hi, I have developed this strange pain in my lower back and groin area on the left side. I have no pain when I am standing or lying down or walking. But when I sit the pain kicks in also when i bend over. I have a pain in my groin area when i push real hard. It feels like the pain when i push touches my bladder. i can feel a sensation when i push. Also when i urinate and finish i dribble a lot afterwards. All my blood counts are ok tcells high and viral load undec. for over 4 years now. I am on Sustiva and combivar. Can i be having any side effects from meds. I read about something about bone loss with pain in the hip area. Also i have pain in my left arm elbow area. It's hard to pick things up. I'm only 37 and been hiv for 6 years now.

I thought i might have prostate or pancreas problem. Bowels are ok. I don't have anal sex for prostate problems but i do ride the bus alot and thought about all the sitting and bouncing around. The pain at times is so bad that i have to take pain meds. At times i can't hardly get up from sitting. But once i'm up i can do anything, lift heavy objects and stay active all day no problem. This has been going on for 3 weeks now and getting worse. What about lymphoma cancer. Any help would be nice thanks San Antonio Texas

Response from Dr. Henry

A good physical exam (including a neurologic exam) would be a good starting place. You may want to check to see what the post-voiding residual is (how much urine remains in the bladder after you attempt to completely urinate). Plain bone films of your pelvis and lumbar-sacral spine/hips might be a starting point for evaluation after the exam. Depending on the findings, then a CT or MRI scan of the involved areas and possibly a DEXA scan for bone density might be indicated. I would check urine tests and have a prostate exam as well. Hope that helps some. KH

Keith Henry, M.D.

Previous
sustiva side effects
Next
Olympic Level Belching

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.