Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Tied Up In Knots
Jan 8, 2001

I recently had to undergo a two-step TB check.-Each a week apart- When I called the CDC AIDS HOTLINE they told me to call a TB hotline and when I did I got tied up in knots with confusing information and now I do not know what to believe.

Is it a bad sign to NOT react? Well My skin didn't even bubble-not a teensy bit and all that it did was get black and blue and fade away and they read both that they were ok. But I was scared because they NEVER reacted that way before and I had these in the past . The person at the TB hotline said it would be a GOOD sign if I reacted and I had to get a chest Xray done because it would show that my immune system was working. Well that the first of November and I tested at 14 week and 17 weeks AFTER this TB test and I was negative. But the info and what happened in my case is still eating away at me.

Response from Dr. Henry

Assuming that the person who read your test is experienced, then that test sounds truly negative which is a good thing. Persons with HIV infection who are infected with TB can lose their skin test reactivity due to the immune damage caused my HIV. If you are not HIV infected then my interpretation would be that you are TB negative. If you are HIV infected (and this forum is for persons who are HIV infected) then sometimes one loses their skin reactivity. To evaluate that, some other skin tests are applied as well (such as mumps, yeast, or diptheria/tetanus). You might want to discuss with your doctor. KH

Keith Henry, M.D.

Previous
Turning Purple
Next
lymphoma or contagious KS?- still neg

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.