Turning Purple

I'm age 48. HIV for at least five years that I know about.. My VL is undetectable, cd4 370 @ 28%. I'm taking Viracept , Combivir, Bactrim. I've KS for five years that I can't seam to get rid of. I've take 15-18 treatment of Doxil which it help but the KS keeps coming back. More recently I've had swelling in my legs, hands and fingers to the point where it has been difficult to put on shoes and my legs are extremely stiff. About threes weeks ago several fingers became numb, turn purple and became painful especially when subjected to the cold. I've seen doctor and they are not coming up with anything. Any ideas on what could be happening here???

HIV can be associated with cryoglobulins or other circulating chemicals than can increase vascular sensitivity to cold temperatures. You might want to contact the NIH (National Cancer Institute to be specific). They are running several trials in Bethesday for persons with KS. One agent they are studying is interleukin 10 or 12 (I can't remember which at the moment) which has shown some promise (I have one patient in that trial myself). KH

Keith Henry, M.D.

Fungal infections JB
Tied Up In Knots