Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

AVS Help - JB
Jan 11, 2001

Thank you for your time. I recently had possible exposure by performing orally on a female sex worker for a max time of about 1 - 2 minutes. About eleven days after that, I had a weird feeling under both armpits that lasted about six or seven days. I also had a red rash on my right hand that has come and gone during the same time frame. These are the only possible AVS symptoms I have experienced since possible exposure. I have read a lot of information on the site about man to man oral transmission but woman to man is scarce to come by. What are the risks of a woman transmitting to a man through oral performed on the woman?

It has been 26 days since possible exposure, should I get tested or just wait for the 3 months to get here?

Response from Dr. Bartlett

The risk of transmission from a woman to a man who has performed oral sex on her is low. There is one reported case that I am aware of, but it is not common. Have you been HIV tested immediately following the exposure? If not, I would suggest getting tested immediately so that it can serve as a baseline, and then follow-up out to 6 months.

John A. Bartlett, M.D.

Previous
FLU SHOT - JB
Next
Sustiva Side Effects Much Worse Than Advertised

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.