Major side effect of steroids

My boyfriend took steroids when he was 18 and he is now 25. His penis shrunk 2 inches in that short time of taking steroids. He has been an on and off depressed person mentally because of this. This has effected physically and mentally in a big way. When he thinks about it, he cant get an erection. This issue is a MAJOR problem in his life. He was getting help a few years ago, but then got so depressed he quit. Is there some way he can reverse the damage, or do something to get it back to the way it was...permanently? Not just temporary. He wants it back to the way it was before the damage of steroids. Can some kind of male specialist doctor help? Please get back to me...I cant stand to see my boyfriend like this.

Thank you

-Tara

I am not sure that penile "shrinkage"is really a side effect of steroid use. Clearly, testicular atrophy (shrinkage) can occur with the use of certain types of anabolic steroids.

It does sound like your boyfriend has significant issues relating to erectile dysfunction, and much may relate to psychological issues that involve body image. It is possible that he could have low testosterone levels, and this should be evaluated by his physician (free testosterone levels). I would strongly suggest that you (he) seek medical and psychiatric help. good luck -BY

Benjamin Young, M.D., Ph.D.

interleukin-2
FLU SHOT - JB