|p24 (please) - BY
Jan 11, 2001
Can you please tell me why this one reactive band is not significant. Isn't this the same p24 tested in the HIV test? Thanks.
| Response from Dr. Young
Single western blot bands are usually not significant, this is because human antibodies typically cross react with different proteins. Since the HIV virus is composed of several major proteins, each of which can elicit an antibody response; a true infection with HIV should produce antibodies to several of these proteins - resulting in a Western blot with multiple bands. -BY
Benjamin Young, M.D., Ph.D.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Dry Mouth After Giving Oral Sex What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Groin Pain After Swallowing Cum Worried I Have HIV
- Hpv After Swallowing Sperm Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Vagina After Genital Rubbing Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Sore On Penis After Touching Sperm Worried I Have HIV
- Sore Throat After Unprotected Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.