Eating Disordered getting lipodystrophy

I am a 30 year old female. I was diagnosed a year ago with VL 160,000 CD4 24, now I'm at VL <50 CD4 98.Started on Agenerase,zerit and videx. Neurophy developed so I went to combivir with the agenerase.

Recently I noticed protruding veins. Went to doctor and found out I have lipodystrophy. I have an eating disorder and I fear relapse. Is there any way to prevent the lipo from getting worse? Is there any way to get rid of these veins? I would appreciate any help!!!

Jo

That is a tough one since there is no known effective therapy for fat loss in the setting of HIV infection and its treatment. Your current regimen should not contribute greatly to the problem. You may want to check your hormone (testosterone, estrogen) status and work to optimize your nutrition and exercise regimen. I recommend taking at least two multiple vitamins a day. Some groups are looking at growth hormone (Serono sponsored research)or diabetic drugs (ACTG trial opening soon) to try to address the problem. Ask you doc if there are research sites nearby. KH

Keith Henry, M.D.

Xanax and protease inhibitors
EXPLAIN MYELOPROLIFERATIVE SYNDROME