severe back and body pain

My name is heidi, I have full blown AIDS, I have been infected since about 1993..I am 24 years old. I have severe back pain, 2 known causes are scoliosis (which can be controlled) and sciatic nerve in my lower back, I have also had bad kidney problems due to crixivan a couple years back... I feel I am not getting the medication/help/treatment I need for this pain..I have a 3 year old daughter to care for and since a recent spinal tap, where it took 3 doctors and 45 minutes of digging in my back to get this fluid, it has been unbearable.. what kind of doctor do I need to see? My infectious disease doctor will not write me anything because it is not AIDS-related, I also have severe aches, just aches all over...how do they know it is not AIDS-related? isnt damaged nerves AIDS-related? how do I get the relief I need, and what kind of doctor do I see....I cant sleep, I can barely walk now because of the spinal tap they did, seemed to only worsen my pain in my lower back at least 50%...why wont anyone give me anything for pain? I have AIDS, I'm not asking for heroin or cocaine, I'm asking for relief...please, tell me what I can do to get the medication I need, until something is done about my back? sincerely, Heidi from Columbia, South carolina

Response from Dr. Boyle

Heidi:

First, you need an adequate diagnosis of the cause of the pain. You don't mention the evaluation that has already been performed (except for the spinal tap), but seeing a neurologist or spine specialist may be helpful in that respect.

Second, you need treatment for your pain. The neurologist may be able to help with that, but treatment for the underlying problem together with physical therapy (if appropriate) and pain management (by pain management specialists) should also be considered. BB

Brian Boyle, M.D., J.D.

Post-acute stage: what symptoms can patient have?
side effects of ddc - shortness of breath and dizziness