hair treatment - JB

Is there anything I can do to save what is left of my hair - on my head. Has become very thin and fine and a lot has fallen out. The scalp is often very itchy and only stops when I am on antibiotics - usually for something else. Have been HIV+ for 16 years. No meds. Take iron supplements. Anything I can do?? Would it be better to have it shorter?? Should I wash it everyday?? Does scratching aggravate the condition?? Is there anything that can control the itching?? Also, has started to go grey. Is it safe to use hairdyes?? Thank you, Deborah.

Response from Dr. Bartlett

I would suggest consulting with a dermatologist because this sounds more complicated than simple male pattern baldness. It is also important to have your HIV assessed if you have not yet begun treatment.

John A. Bartlett, M.D.

I LIKE YOU BEST - JB
Flaky dry skin - JB