Am I Infected? symptoms

Hi Doc,

I know tis is not the right forum. But you guys can most probably help as you guys are practitioners, dealing with HIV+ patients.

I had an exposure with a sex worker about 13 weeks ago. Vagina sex with condom, but I did not roll the condom all the way down to the base of the penis, leaving part of the shaft exposed. I tested negative after 9.5 weeks. It is now 12-13 weeks and I have strange symptoms namely, occasional pains in the groin area where the lympnodes are, armpits and neck, where the lympnodes are. The pains are occasional and just started two weeks back. I also have discomfort in the mouth. There is no swelling on the lympnodes except the neck area. I also have a sore throat

My questions are:

a. Are my symptoms strong suspicion of HIV infection, given I wore condom with no breakage. Or am I just crazy?

b. Is it possible to experience ARS after 12 weeks?

c. what good is a negative test after 9.5 weeks?

Regards

Response from Dr. Bartlett

Wearing a condom was prudent, even if it didn't reach all the way to the base of your penis. It is reassuring that your antibody test was negative after 9.5 weeks, and 12 weeks would be pretty late to have symptoms. Nonetheless, there is no substitute for follow-up testing. Good luck.

John A. Bartlett, M.D.

Lymh nodes
A side effect of HIV or medications ? JB